Small, tall, curvy, athletic, thin, hourglass, apple or pear – women come in all beautiful shapes and sizes.
Some have a view that you are either large, medium or small and that just isn’t the case. The fact of the matter is that different outfits suit certain body shapes and to put it bluntly, not everything is going to look good on you. It’s not what you wear but how you wear it – let that stick in your mind.
Here are the body shapes and some tips to understand your body shape and which clothing will enhance your figure – and what to avoid!
The upper body is bigger than the lower body and most of the weight is above the hips.
Best asset: Legs!
- Go for monochrome looks (for example, black top and white trousers)
- Go for v-neck tops to create the illusion of a longer torso
- Wear a bra that offers good lift and support
- Wear belts at the smallest part of your waist to create curves
- Wear boot cut and flared jeans to create an even line from the shoulders down
- Wear shorter skirts to show off your legs
Shoulders and hips are similar in proportion pulled in by a smaller waist.
Best asset: Curves!
- Avoid wearing baggy clothing which drowns out your curves
- Wear a good bra to showcase your bust (i’d recommend a plunge)
- Wear fitted dresses to show off your curves
- Wear a belt to enhance your hour glass shape
- Wrap dresses will very likely look great on you!
- High waist skirts will enhance your curves
- Wear skinny or straight leg jeans
The bottom half of the body is wider than the upper body.
Best assets: Shoulders and bum!
- A-line skirts will look great on you
- Keep hems of trousers, skirts and dresses wide to balance hips
- Experiment with light colored tops and dark colored bottoms to contract
- Cowl and square necklines
- Strapless dresses will show off your arms and even out proportions
- Wear jackets that hit right above the waist
- Pointy shoes will elongate your legs
Inverted Triangle Shape
Bigger bust and wide shoulders with narrow waist and hips.
Best asset: Legs!
- Wear bright colored trousers or skirts
- Wear full skirts
- Wear wide-leg trousers
- Avoid spaghetti-strapped tops
- High-waisted styles will very likely look great on you
- Look for clothes that create an illusion of a waist
Waist, hips and shoulder are similar it width.
Best assets: Arms and legs!
- Wear sweetheart tops to create curves
- Wear long jackets to create a lean look
- Wear tops with collars and details to flatter your chest
- Wear a good bra that will make the most of what you have
- Layer to add more dimensions
- Wear dresses with rucking on the sides